Five & Dime Eatery


So finally I made my way to Five & Dime Eatery. It was a bright, sunny afternoon and it was kind of challenging to battle the heat while making my way to the place. (It was about 10 minutes walk from the MRT station - nearest MRT station Dhoby Ghaut).

Mainly I was there for the desserts since I had lunch elsewhere. After many unwavering reviews on the Golden Custard Lava Cake, I simply have to try it out for myself. I was not very into the combination between Chocolate and Salted Egg initially. 

 Golden Custard Lava Cake [$12.00]

The lava cake came in a dim sum nested container. When it was served, it was wobbly in the centre.(indicating that the 'volcano' would erupt anytime with an undercooked centre.)

What really surprised was the taste profile. Something sweet matched against something salty. It makes the chocolate less overpowering by balancing the chocolatey taste with saltiness. Interesting combination of sweet and savoury. Let's also give credit for the double flowing lava of the cake too, the bright yellow custard with chocolate lava brings up the level of an ordinary lava cake. 


Next on the list:
Truffs' Earl Grey Chocolate Tart [$9.00]

Presentation wise, the chocolate tart looks really good. I was impressed with the presentation on the plate. Personally, I felt that the dark chocolate ganache was a little too overpowering to the point where the Earl Grey infusion was very faint. Nice crumbly topping, would have needed more of the tart base to complement with the dark chocolate. 

All in all, it was a really pleasant visit to the café. Staffs were very alert and friendly. Would go back to the eatery for more to try out the main courses, as well as returning for the golden custard lava cake!

Five & Dime Eatery

297 River Valley Road.
(Nearest MRT: Dhoby Ghaut)

Previous
Next Post »